Coolant Filtration Systems
The idea is to pass liquids contaminated with solids through media, trapping the unwanted solids in, then on, the media. The goal for the most economical filtration cost is to lengthen the filter’s cycle time. This maximizes the quantity of the unwanted solids per area of media to reduce media costs. Long cycles means the filtration process is working with fewer interruptions for media changes. This increases the capacity of a filter. Smaller filters cost less and take up less space than larger filters. As the unwanted solids build up on the media, the flow of the liquid is impeded. Unless the liquid is highly pressurized, the flow of the liquid through the filter will drop quickly and not satisfy the flow capacity required.
Suzikline filters pressurize the liquid by pumping it into a chamber whose only outlet is through the unwanted solids on the media. The pressure is limited only by the size of the pump, not by atmospheric pressure. 30-40 psi is typical of an Suzikline filter. This is about three to four times more pressure than gravity or vacuum filters can develop. The time it takes to reach 10 psi is much less than the time to reach 30-35 psi in many applications. The graph below shows a typical relationship of filter pressure versus time.
BASIC CONCEPT: DIRT FILTERS DIRT
GOAL: ECONOMICAL FILTRATION
Extended coolant service life
Extend Your Oil or Water-Based Coolant Service Life. Suzikline’s Thicker Cakes Trap Far More Grinding Fines.
Cleanable Filter Belts
- Filter cakes over 90% solids by weight in typical steel grinding.
- Lengthens water-based coolant life 5-10 times.
- High performance media and depth filtration typically delivers less than 10 ppm solids above 10 microns.
- Accepts most commercial disposable media – low-cost/ light weight or heavy/high-performance types.
- Optional, cleanable, semi-permanent belts available for certain applications.
- Discharges a dry cake with less coolant loss.
Suzikline Cleanable Belts – “Paperless Filters”
Suzikline has been building paperless filters for over 25 years. Our cleanable belt systems have been saving customers thousands of dollars annually in media costs. In the case of a change in application or process, all Suziklinepressure filters are engineered for easy conversion for media utilization.
A Coolant Filtration System consists of a:
- Filter. We’re biased- we think the Suzikline Pressure filter is the best filter available.
- Tank with 2 compartments- clean and dirty
- Dirty side receives coolant from machine and holds the coolant until it is pumped thru the filter
- Clean side receives filtered coolant and holds it until it is pumped back to grinder.
- Filter Pump which pumps dirty coolant to filter
- Clean pump(s) which return clean, chilled coolant to machine at desired flowrates and pressures.
- Chiller which removes heat from coolant.
- Optional Ancillary Equipment like automatic coolant addition, sumps to pump coolant to dirty tank from machine, tramp oil removal systems.
SuziklineFilter Company makes fully automatic coolant filtration systems ranging from 20 gpm to 6,000gpm. These systems are designed to support a single machine like a gear grinder, or an entire shop. The larger, central systems will usually have sumps at each machine to pump back dirty coolant to the dirty tank. The larger systems also tend to have redundant filter pumps and clean pumps to minimize downtime. The SuziklineFilter itself is so simple in design that its availability is much greater than 99%. Most of our customers are repeat customers. That speaks for itself regarding performance and reliability.
Large Central 500-6000 gpm system
We will customize the design to fit your space requirements. We will use your preferred PLC’s and screens. Or you can use our standard designs and controls for more cost effective packages.
In some situations the coolant doesn’t filter easily. For example, honing may only filter at a flux rate of 3 gpm/ft2. If many hones are involved, a large filtration area will be needed. In these cases we may recommend a tubular or candle type filter. It is a pressure filter also, but the filtering surface is on the outside of wire mesh tubes hanging vertically in a vessel. Hundreds of tubes can be contained in one vessel resulting in hundreds of square feet of filtering area. These tubes are usually precoated with a filter aid. The tubes are cleaned by backflushing with clean coolant. The system consists of a tubular filter, tanks for both precoat, backwash, dirty coolant and clean coolant, and an Suzikline Pressure Filter to dewater the backwash.
Some plants will not allow the use of silica based filter aids like Diatomaceous Earth (DE) However, recently fresh water based DE is available which does not contain any free silica and is non-hazardous.
Suzikline Tubular Filter
How it works
High-Performance Filtration for Grinding Applications
Coolant filter operation
When your need is for 100% filtration, an Suziklinehigh- performance stand-alone system will provide you with a continual flow of the highest quality clean coolant. Installing an Suziklinehigh-performance pressure filter is your assurance that your machine tools always receive clean coolant and never need to stop for filter cycling. How a high-performance system works: used coolant flows by gravity or is pumped into the dirty compartment. From there, the used coolant is pumped into the filter where it gravity flows out of the filter into the clean compartment. Excess flow from the clean compartment overflows to the dirty tank where it is refiltered. When the filter pauses to dry and discharge, the dirty tank acts as a buffer and stores coolant. When the filter comes back on line in 11/2 – 2 minutes, the dirty fluid level is lowered and the clean compartment returns to full.
We have over 40 years experience filtering coolants: oil, water soluble emulsions, and pure synthetics.
Our application experience includes:
- Gear grinding
- Creep feed grinding
- Surface grinding
- Slot grinding
- Tungsten carbide grinding
- Machining systems
- Piston ring grinding
- Bearings: race, track and ball needle grinding
- ID, OD, centerless grinding
- Driveshaft, crankshaft, connecting rod grinding
- Non-metallic countertops, fiberglass, phenolic resins,ceramics, powdered carbon grinding, sawing, sanding
- Please call our sales department to discuss the flux rates, filter sizing and expected performance for your particular application.
- Custom Engineered.
- Flat bottom, sloped bottom, cone shaped.
- Circular, rectangular.
- Electrically controlled.
- Pneumatic backups available.
- Interfaces to grinder to: power up/shutoff; alarm; status
- Overflow alarms standard: high level alert to grinder followed by time delayed coolant shutoff
- Can include High Pressure supply pumps to reduce length of plumbing runs with pressurized coolant
- Can integrate with hydraulic cooling using heat exchangers
These ancillary system components will be fully integrated into the system controls.
- Chillers: Air cooled, water cooled, remote condensers, submersible coil
- Heat Exchangers using existing chilled water
- Automatic Coolant Makeup- add coolant as required to maintain levels
- Blend neat water soluble coolants with water to desired concentration
- Tramp oil removal systemsF
[catlist id=”62″ numberposts=-1]